Login
 
New User
What's OnMyDoorstep.com.au?

Former Salvation Army Training Garrison

Heritage Listed Location

Address

68-88 Victoria Parade East Melbourne, Melbourne City, Victoria, Australia

Places Nearby

Melbourne, 3000 0.8km Fitzroy, 3065 1.0km Collingwood, 3066 1.4km University Of Melbourne, 3010 2.0km Melbourne University, 3052 2.0km

Details / Significance

What is significant?
The former Salvation Army Training Garrison was built in 1900 by James Smith for the Salvation Army, under the supervision of General and Mrs Booth, according to the designs by Brigadier Edward Saunders. It includes an imposing symmetrical facade of eight bays around a central tower over the main entrance. The facade makes an abundant use of late Victorian Tudor stylistic elements: castellation, towers with corner turrets, bays, string courses, face red brickwork and render dressing for corner quoins and openings surrounds. The red brickwork contrasts strongly to the large areas of intricate white render. Internally double dogleg flights of stairs rise to the first floor. A single geometric stair rises from the first floor. Some rooms contain pressed-metal and diaper-patterned ceilings and cast iron ceiling roses.

How is it significant?
The former Salvation Army Training Garrison is of architectural, historical and social significance to the State of Victoria.


Why is it significant?
The former Salvation Army Training Garrison is architecturally significant for its unusual use of the Tudor style on such a large scale. By its size and striking facade, it makes a major contribution to the streetscape. Internally the double dogleg and geometric stair is an unusual arrangement. The pressed metal ceilings are early examples in Victoria of a new form of decoration.

The former Salvation Army Training Garrison if of historical significance for its associations with Colonel Edward Saunders, the architect of the building. Saunders co-founded the Salvation Army in Australia with John Gore in Adelaide in 1880. The former Salvation Army Training Garrison was one of five designs by Saunders but the only one in Victoria. Saunders was also responsible for the Salvation Army Printing Works, 508 Albert Street, one year later. The former Salvation Army Training Garrison is a late component consistent with Governor Latrobe's plans to reserve Eastern Hill for Melbourne's religious and institutional bodies.


The former Salvation Army Training Garrison if of social significance for its ability to show the importance of the Salvation Army to the community. The garrison served as the training centre for cadets from all over Australia and New Zealand from 1901 to 1913. The evangelistic work of the Army was of exceptional social value to the working classes and under-privileged of Melbourne and Victoria.

User Stories

Do you have stories, notes or memories about Former Salvation Army Training Garrison?

Share your story with others.

Pictures

FORMER SALVATION ARMY TRAINING GARRISON SOHE 2008
1 former salvation army training garrison victoria prd east melb front view nov1979
former salvation army training garrison victoria parade east melbourne street view
former salvation army training garrison victoria prd east melb front wall jul1982
former salvation army training garrison victoria prd east melb rear view jul1982

Heritage Listed Locations Nearby

Ici House 0.1km
Federal Oak 0.2km
Ardee 0.3km
Tram Shelter 0.4km
Ensor 0.4km
onmydoorstep.com.au logo
Find us on facebook Follow us on twitter Subscribe to our RSS

User contributed content is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License with Attribution Required.
Login